In the earlier days when the size of the business was small the common method of communication was face to face communication and sending representatives for direct contact. With the introduction of efficient postal and courier services , business letters are the easiest and cheapest method of communication. Importance of business letter writing arises because of te following factors :
· Letters are drafted with proper planning and thinking. Hence the subject matter is presented in a systematic and logical manner.
· Letters can be sent through postal and courier services in a short time.
· Letters provide record for future reference and can be used as evidence in case of dispute.
· Letters can be used to convey unpleasant and delicate messages which cannot be conveyed in face to face communication.
· The cost of sending letters is less as compared to other means .
· The size of the letters can be selected as per the requirement.
· Business letters also help in building goodwill.